Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On Teacher's Day

Happy (belated) TEACHER's DAY!!!

Yes, yesterday was the TEACHER's DAY for Indonesian. 

Well, as a teacher, I am proud and look inside my heart: whether I am still as motivated as when I was first fell in love with teaching, or at least with my teachers' and their inspiration.

Considering my present working place and its unique atmosphere, I must say that this teaching is really-really challenging and much-demanding; and I really mean that my friends and I really struggle here. We always want to contribute and give our best to improve the quality of this school (regardless of what we gain for our salary which is actually, and frankly saying, inequal at all).

There are many sad times, especially when we think that we fight alone: the foundation, some of them, do not support us morally actually. Or when my friends or my relatives slammed me down when they said why on earth I have taken this decision to teach here. Or when we could only jaw-drop looking at several of our dreamless and 'blank-minded' students... And don't forget all the rapidly exhausting tasks that we always get: assessing, test-making, preparing for next year's students admission, christmas celebration, etc etc etc... 

Well, yet, there's always a silver lining in every dark cloud. 

I can only look at some refreshing, motivating students when I am down. They lift me up. Let me tell you a story of a sparkling ordinary girl in class X. She's from low-economic class family. Nothing to boast, such a modest girl. She once had to stay in class, not passing one of her elementary class. However, what surprised me a lot, she got the best grade for English in her last final exam when she's in the third year of her junior high school. Now, she's one of my students. And each time I come into her class, she's the silver lining. 

I praise the Lord, thank Him each time I see her. Do I adore her too much? No. I remember that God gives each of his people different, unique talent, and I see it in this girl. 

OK, talking back about Teacher's Day, we did nothing special. Only holding the flag ceremony, and there's time when the students sang 'Terima Kasih Guruku' for us. No sobbing or crying. I smiled, enjoying the air that blow the red-and-white flag dancing with the wind. My first time being a teacher and listening that song for me. 

GBU!

No comments: